Re: Mig welders

To: jschmidt@kumc.edu, autox@autox.team.net, DEMENTED-INC@prodigy.net
Subject: Re: Mig welders
From: Hottvr@aol.com
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 22:00:49 EDT
When it comes to welders(Wire Guns) Slang term used by machine shop types
such as myself for "Mig" welding. You have to ask several ?'s ? What are you
going to try to do with it? Are we talking about a 220 volt three phase unit
or a 110
volt portable setup? If you think you are going to do something heavy duty
like fabricate things like frames from scratch or weld up special A-arms for
something like the "Lotus from HELL" with a 110 volt unit, think
again!!!!!!!!!!!!
Welding is something that I understand the principles of , but have never
really
mastered fully. Even with the best equipment and the right size of wire and
the
correct type of cover gas(I like Tri mix) it takes lots of practice. Thats
why when I
did work on the Lotus frame I would just "Tack it up" and fit the tubes and
let my "Senior Engineer" weld it. He has always been a lot better at it than
me. There are a lot of things that come into play when it comes to welding.
Especially when it comes to thin wall tubes(See Lotus) or sheet metal(See
RX-7). You have to understand that there are a ton of factors in this
game(Dis-Similar materials) and such that are beyond anything that the
machine(Welder) can overcome. Hope this helps?

If you think I'm full of it, checkout

http://www.boltmaker.com

Mike B. TLS#1