Re: Mig welders

To: "Williams" <bswilliams@myriad.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Mig welders
From: bruce haden <bhaden@ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 14:06:00 -0700
At 09:18 PM 8/25/99 -0500, Williams wrote:
>Well now,
>You didn't mention aluminum before.
>Now you have to get two guns, or at least change the liners between metals.
>The Al wire will pick up steel residue from the used liner.  It WILL mess up
>the project.
>The same is true when running steel wire in a liner that has Al residue in
>it.
RIGHT!! I hadn't even thought of that until last night when, coincidentally,
a friend sent me a couple of sheets from a mag article with welding tips.
They mentioned the contamination of the inner sheath as a problem. Miller
has a neat solution that's probably too much $$$ for most of us. It's a MIG
gun with a one pound spool mounted on the top of the gun so there is no feed
from the main unit. The shop they mentioned used the main sheath for steel
wire and when they swithched to alum they used the spool gun rather than
change the feed assembly. More portable too.