Re: Stock ACR, non-stock M3 LTW...?

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>, "autocross" <AUTOX@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stock ACR, non-stock M3 LTW...?
From: "Justin Hughes" <ka1ult@channel1.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 12:05:43 -0400
> Why don't you buy it? I've got no idea what the production numbers for an
> M3 LTW are, but if its hard/impossible to get 'em, why shouldn't they be
> barred from stock?

A perfectly good question.  I'll ask another one: If it's easy to get a Neon
that is factory prepared the same way as an M3 LTW, why shouldn't THEY be
barred from stock?  I personally have no opinion (I don't compete against
either of them ;) ) but it's fun to ask these kinds of questions and see
what happens. :)

> I also don't know how they compare performance wise to stock M3's.  If
> they're light years better than perhaps they (in effect) simply got
> performance indexed outta stock, similar to the viper?

They're a little faster all around than the stock M3s.  A little.  Not light
years better.  A perfect example of this happened at yesterday's autox.  Two
excellent drivers were duking it out for the class win, one in an M3 LTW,
one in a standard M3 4-door ("M3 heavyweight?")  Both cars and drivers have
held the course record.  The competition was extremely close and great fun
to watch.  Each one would set a time faster than the other on each run.  Who
made the fastest run in the end?  The non-LTW 4-door by a nose.

    - Justin