Re: Stock ACR, non-stock M3 LTW...?

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Subject: Re: Stock ACR, non-stock M3 LTW...?
From: Rex Tener <rex@marimba.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 09:38:28 -0700
At 10:45 AM 8/23/99 -0400, Mark J. Andy wrote:
>I've got no idea what the production numbers for an M3 LTW are

125 cars were made over a two month period in late 1995.  The retail price
of the LTW ($48K) was 1/3 more than the regular M3 ($36K).

>, but if its hard/impossible to get 'em, why shouldn't they be
>barred from stock?

Many sat on the dealership floor for years!  When I searched for one after
nationals in 1997, in one day I found four of them brand new at
dealerships.  Supposedly there is still a new one at a dealership right now
(four years later).

As you can see.  They were very difficult to sell.  Should have they been
classified in stock?  Even with four years of hindsight, I don't know the
correct answer.  Given what the SEB knew at the time, not classing it in
stock was probably the right thing to do.  However, IMHO, it should be in
the same street prepared class as the regular M3.

BMW should have done what Chrysler did, say that they would build as many
as the market wanted.  Then they could have been classified in stock.

Rex "I should have bought a Type R as a daily driver" Tener
rex@marimba.com
1995 BMW M3