Re: autox logbook?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: autox logbook?
From: "Sean Long" <seanlong@micron.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 20:18:06 -0600
> I've been keeping an autox logbook, but I've just been sketching
> the course and including some thoughts on what I did wrong in my
> runs and what I did right.  I guess I've also been writing a little
> before-hand about what I want to concentrate on.
>
> What would be useful to keep track of?  Obviously, at least some
> people are recording the time for each run.  What other kinds of
> things should I be keeping track of?  Do people record this
> stuff on grid, or wait until they get home?

I am keeping track of weather conditions, track surface and conditions
(dusty asphalt, clean concrete, etc), and tire pressures.  I haven't
graduated to actually taking tire temperatures, but then again I have yet to
wear out my first set of BFG R1's.

Log all this stuff immediately or you'll forget it.  Tracking other things
you want to remember, tips from experienced guys, etc. is also probably best
done as soon as possible.  I don't think I'll be writing anything down while
I'm actually in the grid, but as soon as I'm done with my runs I write down
any stuff I want to remember.  I wait until the day is over to write down
what I've learned about my tires and car setup.

Little things like remembering to lock the doors (I opened my door
mid-course during my first ever novice run, don't ask how) and turn off the
air conditioner should be on a placard attached/taped somewhere, on your
wrist if you don't have anywhere else :)

My new-guy $.02

Sean Long