Re: Spokes: Re: Big Swaybar Woes...

To: beagleracing@mroad.com
Subject: Re: Spokes: Re: Big Swaybar Woes...
From: Ghsharp@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 22:18:57 EDT
In a message dated 8/23/99 9:51:18 AM EST, Dan Pedroza writes:

> Ok, correct me in my interpretation (perhaps i'm reading what i want to
> read considering my current circumstances)
>
> At 05:30 AM 8/23/1999 -0700, Craig Blome wrote:
>>==begin quote==
>>13.7 Anti Roll (Sway) Bars
>>A.
>>Front anti-roll (sway) bars:
>>4.  No modification to the body, frame or other
>>components to accommodate anti-roll bar addition or
>>substitution is allowed, except for the drilling of
>>holes for mounting bolts.
>>==end quote==
>
> I read this to mean that if i do install a reinforced bracket, it would NOT
> be a modification to the body (which it isn't), it would NOT be a
> modification to the frame (which it isn't) nor would it be a component to
> accommodate the ADDITION or substitution of a sway.  All the reinforced
> bracket would mean is just to beef up the current bracket to prevent it
> from breaking again.  And even MORE interesting is the ALLOWANCE for holes
> to be drilled for mounting bolts which I would argue would support Jimmie
> Edrington's idea of using LONGER bolts for the brackets.  the extra long
> bolts would be used to mount the swaybar bracket/bushing onto the mounting
> bracket and then continue upwards to bolt into the frame, thus eliminating
> any extra flex/stress in the swaybar mounting bracket.
>
> Am i reaching?  Is anyone from the protest committee available to comment?

The SEB just discussed this in response to a question from a member who is
a Miata owner.  Similar swaybar mounting brackets can be found on 3rd-gen
RX-7's and MR2's; there may be others that I'm not aware of.  I do know that
all these cars have problems with the brackets breaking, especially if a
larger
diameter swaybar has been installed.

The rule quoted above says you can't modify the "body, frame, or other
components" to install another swaybar.  The brackets fall under the heading
of "other components", meaning you can't replace, reinforce, or otherwise
modify them.  I understand that the Miata brackets are spot-welded as well
as bolted, which pretty much removes all doubt as to whether they are an
integral part of the car.  I would also be very cautious in assuming that one
could legally replace the stock bolts with longer ones going into the frame.
Although the argument could be made that these fall under the allowance for
mounting bolts, you'd be using them to attach the_bracket_to the car in a
different manner, rather than to attach the_swaybar_to the car, which is the
intent of that part of the rule.  I imagine that most protest committees would
consider this a modification of the stock bracket.

The allowance for drilling of holes for mounting bolts implies that you're not
required to use the stock brackets if you don't want to, that additional
mounting brackets_can_be used if you so desire.  I'm not sure I'd try to
bolt another bracket directly to the existing one, as you're getting into a
gray area again rules-wise.

I don't know if an aftermarket bar already exists for these cars that uses
different mounting brackets (that don't replace the stock ones) or whether
you'd have to do some fabrication work to come up with the right pieces.

And if the stock brackets were spot-welded, when you replace them they
must be re-welded, too.

GH Sharp
SEB