Re: Silly CB Conversations

To: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>
Subject: Re: Silly CB Conversations
From: John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 17:54:50 -0500
Great story, Katie!  Just goes to show that Chicken Band radios can be
helpful tools and truckers aren't all bad!  In some cities, there are
still "REACT" clubs...groups of volunteers who sit around CB base
stations monitoring channel 9 for help calls.  Though not as popular
as they were 15 or 20 years ago, it's still nice to know that they're
out there.  And many CBs can now be programmed to make channel 9 a
"priority" receive channel so that if somebody within range calls for
help on that channel, your radio will automatically switch over to
their call.  Those truckers who have such radios, and who have that
function turned on, are usually more than happy to assist.

Of course many people now have cell phones and can call for help
themselves.  And, if they don't, many truckers do!

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman

"Kelly, Katie" wrote:

> When I was in the sixth grade, my mom and dad borrowed a motorhome and took
> my sister and me and our two dogs Lulu and Lollipop to Salina, KS for the
> nationals. Of course, with the CB on we got to hear all sorts of funny stuff
> as the truckers laid their eyes on  Li'l Stroker, the Lotus 7A, for the
> first time.

(snipped for brevity)