"Voluntary bumping"

To: Mark Shaw <autox@inficad.com>
Subject: "Voluntary bumping"
From: Josh Sirota <jss@marimba.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 21:51:28 -0700
Mark Shaw wrote:
> I think "get real" may be good advice for you...:-)  My point was that
> even if voluntary bumping is termed illegal, it can be easily circumvented
> by using all subtle features of the rules.  Further, I made no comment about
> the worth of a person's entry...you keep injecting that concept.  I am
> merely pointing out that there are other ways to find "competition" if you
> are a single car class.  Why cann't we discuss those in a rational manner?
> Why cann't why suggest these to people in that situation?

I think the problem here is that you (Mark) have a different definition
of this "voluntary bumping" term than we (Rocky and I) have.

My definition is the ability to use the bumping order in appendix B to
enter and run in any class that is "downstream" of my "proper" class.  I
claim this is absolutely illegal.  If the event decides that my class
will be combined with a different class, that's one thing -- but I can't
choose any class downstream of myself.

I *think* your definition is the ability to run in a "higher" category
than your car is prepared for.  I.e., if you have a stock car, you could
run it in SP.  In the proper SP class for the car.  I.e., if I had a
Miata legal for Stock, I could also run it in CSP.  I could also run it
in EP.  Or DM.

On that second definition, which might be yours, I totally agree, that's
absolutely fine (but it's not necessarily the case that your CSP-legal
Miata is legal for EP).  The first definition, that's definitely not.
You can definitely cheat with rules like that (see my rainy day example
from a couple of days ago).

So, are we actually agreeing on the rules, but arguing about
nomenclature?

Josh