Re: Earning Trophies? Nope.

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Earning Trophies? Nope.
From: Mark Shaw <autox@inficad.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 21:43:10 -0700
Rocky Entriken wrote..
> Yoo hoo! Anybody else here in my class? I'm seeking......

You can always find an exception, but that does not negate the
concept that you can "encourage" people to find other competitors
with which to compete.  Simply saying it cann't be done, no way,
no how....doesn't help anybody.

> Appendix B's bumping order, or some other system of their own design. It
> matters not what, but it does matter that a policy is stated up front and is
> consistent.

And what have we been suggesting but just that!  Set up the rules for the
series including bumping, whatever.  Who made the wild assumption that we
should do this without warning....?...:-(

> Look, you tell me the rule is 2 cars or 3 cars to make a class, ....
>....(rest of complex situation deleted).....

It can be a hassle if you want to make it a hassle.  But if you set up
PAX classes for single car classes in the prior series you can avoid this
problem.  If a given class evolves in the series you can split it back
out next series if the entrants indicate they want that.

> Come on now. You are advocating that a driver has to begin dismantling his
> car on the spot and make himself illegal so he can bump .. not to a higher
> class but a higher CATEGORY?!? Why should someone have to start yanking
> parts of his car just to satisfy YOUR concept of whether his participation
> has any inherent worth? Get real!

I think "get real" may be good advice for you...:-)  My point was that
even if voluntary bumping is termed illegal, it can be easily circumvented
by using all subtle features of the rules.  Further, I made no comment about
the worth of a person's entry...you keep injecting that concept.  I am
merely pointing out that there are other ways to find "competition" if you
are a single car class.  Why cann't we discuss those in a rational manner?
Why cann't why suggest these to people in that situation?

> And now the person who comes out nearly every event, but finds himself in a
> one-car class, is not a serious competitor? .......

This value judgement is yours, not mine.  Give it a rest!

> No, the bureaucratic BS of which I speak is not what is in the rulebook, or
> the organization of the event to establish start times or requirements that
> certain classes run at certain times of the day. It is the establishment of
> local policies such as trophy distribution that demean the efforts of
> drivers for reasons beyond their control, such as nobody else showed up.
> Establishing a run order is necessary. Demeaning a driver's effort and
> commitment is BS. Establishing such demeaning treatment as policy is
> bureaucratic BS.

You are merely selecting what you believe are important and classifying
other topics as BBS.  I note that you say that run order is necessary, that
when you run during the day is necessary...why?  We have had long debates
about the value of such restrictions and have actually relaxed them for
some classes.  Merely setting up the event to have classes with more than
one entry is no different than any other administrative task.

You seem to place a high value on a trophy for a single car class.
Why, I don't know (and don't care); but I do resent you labeling
me as somebody who doesn't care about others in this sport or that
I think only my concepts work.  If you check my record with others in
AZ Region you will find this label to be totally unwarranted.
Compared with many of the "old timers" I am more willing to accept
change, challenge, and/or entertain new approaches to see if they work.
You can call me a risk taker or a radical, if you wish....:-)

Mark