Re: Petition to amend SCCA bylaws

To: Mtnman3620@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Petition to amend SCCA bylaws
From: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 18:09:53 -0500
At 03:02 PM 8/25/99 , Mtnman3620@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 8/25/99 3:15:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>john.mikes@worldnet.att.net writes:
>
><< A petition on a proposed  amendment to the bylaws to stop all of SCCA's Pro
> Racing activities is now circulating. I urge all SCCA members to join me in
> supporting it. >>
>
>I can see where this would help the club overall but would this directly
>affect Solo2 or just the Club racers?  Just a curious neophyte...

On that note, I have to ask....

Its not clear to me why its necessary to disallow involvement in a
professional racing series.  Instead, what is needed is an amendment
that disallows taking of club racing money for use in other endeavors.
Money brought in by/for club racing should be at least 90% used for
club racing (10% flexibility is arbitrary -- but some flexibility is
probably wise).

That same amendment would disallow use of Solo2 money for club racing.
I know in some regions there is a lot of animosity from the Solo2
folks as they could procure better or even permanent sites if they
could just use the money they collect from Solo2'ers for Solo2.
Many of them feel their money is unfairly consumed by club racing
and other endeavors.

It seems to me that an amendment that demanded minimal mixing of
funds would be far better than simply an amendment that prohibited
pro racing.  Afterall, if they can come up with a self-sustaining
pro racing series, that would be a _good_ thing for all the SCCA.

Am I missing something?

Brian