Re: Reduced class structure

To: "Kent Rafferty" <gs96@sgi.net>, "autocross list" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Reduced class structure
From: "Justin Hughes" <ka1ult@channel1.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 10:49:58 -0400
> Pitting lower hp models against their higher hp siblings
> doesn't seem fair but it's done all of the time in most of
> the classes.  Compare an 84 Corvette with a ZR1 Vette
> in SS: 205 hp vs 405 hp! Double!

Alan suggested to me that I take a look at some of the results in both HS
and ES and see how they compare, which I intend to do.  While I'm at it,
I'll compare SS times and see what kind of difference there may be between
the Vettes.

> Same is true with almost all of the pony cars ever made placed
> in the same class - F Stock.  The hp differential there is just as
> dramatic as the SS example.

Between the big V8s and smaller V6s these cars have, I believe it - adding
another class to compare to my checklist.

> Given these precedents, I'd combine ES and HS.  We already
> have too many classes, IMO, and we're adding more almost
> daily it seems.

I'm thinking from the perspective of a relative novice who's running what
they brung, which just happens to fall into HS (say, an Escort LX, a common
daily driver).  I'd think that having to compete directly against current ES
cars would frustrate them quickly and cause them to give up on autox.  I
understand the concern of too many classes - you end up with two, one, or no
people in many classes, and that takes the fun out of competition.  I think
ST was a good addition, though - it lets people who tinker with their cars
before learning about SCCA rules to have a place to compete where they
actually have a chance, not against the serious SP or Prepared cars they'd
otherwise run against.

    - Justin