Re: Earning Trophies?

To: Phil Ethier <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: Earning Trophies?
From: washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 20:26:51 -0500
Phil Ethier wrote:

> If this list is to be used only for discussion of "National" events, sign me
> off right now.  This list is to be used for all things autocrossing, and not
> just SCCA, either.

Good point and I agree. I was not however suggesting that the thread be
cut for any reason.  My point was to merely say that this discussion,
while somewhat controversial, does not necessarily affect everyone as if
it were a "National" rule that applies to all.  I wanted to emphasize
that both ideas can be right, and that there is no conflict with both
existing in the vast autocrossing world.  I'm sure everyone knew that,
but sometimes these debates take on an "all or nothing" tone as if it
affected all of us.

Pat foolishly said:
> >I have always believed that rules for local events should differ from
> >those of "National" events, for the main benefit of the competitor in
> >the former, and for the purity of competition in the latter

Not realizing that Phil would then reply:
> This does crack me up a little since you were the guy who tried to add
> limits to the number of timed runs in local events in order to more
> accurately reflect the larger events.  :-)

Ahhh....using my own words against me! =8-o  So this is how it's going
to be!  ;)
 Of course when considering the rest of those words, we recall that I
proposed that change only for our local PRO entrants, who are the self
avowed "serious" competitors, as a voluntary scoring practice and not a
run limiting rule.  I still think that scoring only the first three of
whatever many runs you get will sharpen your "out of the box" skills for
thoise who are interested in such things.

Phil then offers:
> I believe that rules for local events MAY differ from those of "National"
> events, for the main benefit of the competitor in the former, and for the
> purity of competition in the latter.

I do like your wording better.  I must absolutely, positively stop
speaking in absolute values. ;)  Now, quit pickin on me and go finish
Grace... I can't wait to see her again!
--
Patrick Washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Wausau, WI     Land of Cheese