Re: Earning Trophies?

To: "washburn" <washburn@dwave.net>, "Jim & Marilyn Rohn" <rohns@doitnow.com>
Subject: Re: Earning Trophies?
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 13:27:04 -0500
Pat Washburn is right that this NOT a National thing. the National Champion
in a one-car class gets the same trophy, jacket, walk across the stage,
listing in the record book, that the winner of a 50-car class gets. (And I
reiterate my mantra that it is not his fault, or usually HER fault, that
nobody else came to run in the class; she was there expecting to take on all
comers and had no control over anyone else's decision to compete or not
compete.)

It just does not happen on the National level. But it does on the local
level.

I have NO argument with those who say "let's do it better ... lets make the
extra effort to create a class structure that gives those one-in-class
people someone to race against." This usually involves PAXing, or some other
structure, often meaning someone has to be detailed to do the extra work
(number crunching, for example) to determine the winners. Even a simple bump
rule, if implemented, is okay.

I also have no problem with those who choose not to make such extra
effort -- it is not always possible for any number of reasons -- and just
let one car be a class with its drivers eligible for the same awards as any
multi-car class. Some prefer not to use a bump rule because of the
apples-and-oranges mixes that often result.

But I have huge argument with those who choose not to make that extra effort
and THEN haughtily declare that drivers in one-car classes are unworthy to
receive awards. They can rationalize it all they want, but what these people
are saying is that the winner of a one-car class does not deserve the
recognition of the winner of a multi-car class, and that is demeaning.

I hate the argument "your victory is hollow." I love the argument "we can do
better for you." I hear the same voice(s) saying both things. So perhaps
what I am really urging here is for that voice to shut up about value
judgments of others' efforts but continue to shout loudly about how the
autocross experience can be improved.

It is not necessary to put down someone's efforts in order to give him a
better deal.

--Rocky