Re: was New GS, now Class killerz

To: "autocross list" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: was New GS, now Class killerz
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 00:51:35 -0700
>Clearly, Kelly you don't understand anything about light absorption :-)
>The black Miatae can't beat the red because they absorb more light. Now,
>while light is light (boy I love typing that), Einstein proved that
>light as energy really does have mass so a black car weighs more than a
>red car ipso facto etcetera etcetera...
==============================
Ahh, but consider this.  If it happens to be a bright sunny day the black
car should be able to go faster than the red car.

It works like this.  The solar radiation is absorbed by the black paint and
heats up to a higher temperature than the red paint would.  The now "super"
heated black car also heats the air immediately surrounding the car more
than the red car would.  Heated air is thinner and easier to move through.
Ergo, the black car should be faster on a bright sunny day.

Then again, on cloudy days is should still be faster due to the red car's
greater amount of pigment in the paint which weighs more than an equivalent
volume of black paint.

In theory anyway this should work.  Now, who's gonna let me drive their red
and black Miatas back to back to test my theory???  ;^)

(Man, you just gotta love the buzz that you get from cold medicine.)

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

...you Yankees are so silly
about matters of the heart
don't you know that women
are the only works of art?
Don Henley  "Driving with your eyes closed"