Re: stolen rx7

To: cmack@wpi.edu, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: stolen rx7
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 15:28:58 EDT
As someone who has lost several cars through theft, vandalism, etc. I'll
share what I've found.

1)  receipts for new transmissions, differentials, etc. don't count, as they
are "maintenance items" required to keep the car in good condition.

2)  I'm pretty sure you have to tell your ins. company ahead of time if your
car is valued "above market value" and you pay higher premiums based on its
increased value.

3)  State Farm and AAA both do "market surveys" to determine value of the
car.  I've had success with State Farm in increasing the value ('86 Civic Si
from $2600 to $3000 in '94, RX-7 S from $2700 to 3300 in '91, and an '84
GSL-SE from $2190 to $2690 several weeks ago), though I got nowhere with AAA
in the case of the Civic Si (AAA insured ran into it and totalled it while it
was parked, and wouldn't increase their offer of $2600 when I showed them my
survey - the same one that worked with State Farm several weeks later!) and
had to go through State Farm, then they subrogated (goyt the money from) AAA.

Charlie Davis