more STU stuff

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: more STU stuff
From: "Brad Cox" <coxb@trimofran.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 14:20:51 -0500
I think this STU discussion is part of what's neat about the class.  It
really will be a very open situation.  Some people are worried, but I think
it will need to be this way because of the radical import setups that are
getting more radical (and common) every day.

Just for fun, my .0002 cents.  While the cars that have been discussed have
the potential to be some of the fastest things to ever mash a cone, we can
all aggree that development is about 90% of the equation.  Therefore, my
proposed car will be based on a platform that's already seen quite a bit of
development.

My idea of the perfect STU class killer begins with a WELL developed CSP car
(like Mcmillen's civic).  First, make it street legal with a high flow cat.
Then,  yank the engine and drop in a 1.8L supercharged integra motor (no lag
and ~240hp) that weighs only a little more than the 1.6 that's in there now.
I'm not sure whether a SC would be better for this application than a turbo
or not.  That's the beauty of this class!  Now maybe we'll find out.  250hp
with no lag vs 300hp+ with lag.

You could probably go with bigger/fatter tires/wheels since you have good
gearing and MUCH more torque.  Install the biggest slotted rotors that will
fit on all 4 corners.  A Quaife LSD and a Type R tranny will help too.

The cool part is, there are a LOT of cars like this that have been developed
to a great extent.  The engine/LSD/tranny side has been taken to a very high
level at the strip.  The suspension/wheel/tire setup for civics has been
highly developed at the autocross.  Put 'em together right, and it will be
hard to find anything with a dashboard that even comes close.

Parts are available everywhere, and they're also seeing an extremely high
rate of develpment.  Also, I think this is the type of combination
envisioned by the people involved in developing STU as a class.  Wait a
minute, isn't that what WE'RE doing???

-brad