Re: Oval racer discovers autocross

To: "94kart" <94kart@nycap.rr.com>, "autocross list" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oval racer discovers autocross
From: "kart38" <kart38@home.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 15:12:56 -0500
Rick, I don't auto x my kart but I only race it on roadcourses so my info
should be valid.  First of all if he is running an oval chassis you should
get him a roadcourse one.  If you do this I would suggest the Margay Brava 1
or CRG Heron.  As far as setup goes, just take the rear end as wide as you
can get it.  This will keep it from trying to bicycle.  Then use the front
track width to help adjust the handling.  Widen the front if it is too
tight, narrow it if it is too loose.  For tire pressures run something kinda
high, like 15 or 16, this will build heat into the tires quicker.  Something
else that would be helpful is a set of soft tires, I run Bridgestone YGA's
in street races, there are only a couple compounds softer than those.  If
you want to know, YFX's are softer than the "A's".  This should get you
something that handles like it is......well a go-kart :)  Hope your son has
fun, if you need more info just ask me.

Jason