Re: stupid question...

To: "Buddy Ahlers" <buddy_ahlers@yahoo.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: stupid question...
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 23:40:28 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: Buddy Ahlers <buddy_ahlers@yahoo.com>

> ...he told me (with a look as if I had three heads) that it was an SCCA
> rule that all drivers must wear long pants and long
> sleeves.  He then got on his soapbox and went on about
> how those in shorts should be DQed and not even
> allowed to run.

Solo Trials require Stock and SP drivers to wear "100% cotton outer wear
which effectively covers the body from neck to ankles and wrists," and all
others to wear driving suits (Solo Rules, Appendix E).  That may have been
the source of confusion.

For regular autocrossing, the only mention of driver apparel in the SIIR is
in section 4.3, which mandates a helmet (with goggles or face shield if
driving a car with an abbrieviated windshield) and shoes which cover the
entire foot.  Most people will wish to exceed the specification, but it
doesn't require long pants and sleeves.

> Is it something he may have carried over from Solo I or from road racing?

Nope -- the Solo I rules are carried over from the GCR (which governs road
racing) and require a fire resistant driver's suit.  Simple long pants and
long sleeves won't cut it there.

It's amazing sometimes what people will come up with.  Last year, so many
local starters insisted I *had* to run with the driver's window down that I
began carrying my copy of the local supps -- which clearly recommended (but
did not require) running with the driver's window *up....*

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si (still driving with the windows up)
Speed Demon Racing
http://www.mindspring.com/~jsculerati/sdr