Re: Car numbers at Nationals

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Car numbers at Nationals
From: Jim Carr <jac@scri.fsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 14:46:03 -0400 (EDT)
 You want something to argue about all winter, how about if the
 running order of the cars is chosen at random to be either low
 to high or high to low after the close of registration?  Might
 reduce the race to get numbers in the high 90s by folks with
 stage fright....

Andy Poling <andy@globalauctions.com> wrote:

> ...  Do we have to require meatballs on all the cars just to
> have readable numbers?

 Yes!

    http://www.nettally.com/kcarr/0301-2.jpg

 [Unretouched "Snappy" grab of Hi-8 video shot from about 250-300' away.]

 You might also notice the light rectangle on the rear quarter, which
 is where the white class letters are on a piece of body-color-matching
 blue magnetic.  Because of the reflectivity/luminosity issues Rocky
 mentioned, you can see that there is no contrast there.  You can tell
 that there must be very tiny black letters on the Solo Events sticker
 behind the front wheel, but not the much larger class letters.  Further,
 if that dark blue magnetic was covering a white number on the side of
 the car, in this particular lighting it would be almost as bright as
 white and easily confused with the other car in the same class.

 I also noted a pair of photos of silver cars among the fwrscca
 collection from Nationals where one with white numbers (black
 border?) could be read despite a poor angle and the clutter of
 a larger number of sponsor stickers nearby, while another car
 shot at the same angle looks like it has no numbers at all.  Not
 as cut and dried as one might wish.

 Speaking of photos, I'm surprised Katie was not protested for those
 teeth!!   Clearly a competitive advantage to terrorize the corner
 workers.  How did you do that?  But you need to borrow some tape
 from the TLS folks and put eyes on the headlights, preferably
 looking towards the corner.....

 Also a quick "way to go" to J.D. out there in Lost Wages on his job
 as DTN.  For those of you wondering about that rumored video, here
 are the lyrics

     http://www.scri.fsu.edu/~jac/Dixie/news/rag.txt

 he gave me after the party, although I never did manage to fill in
 the "Background ..." about how poor ol' Lucretia kept getting her
 position in the group of cars "adjusted" until she was out of the
 frame of the cover photo.  The sad tale was half the show.

   -- Jim Carr (93 Miata and Old Fartz physicist)