Noise Pollution Discretion (wasFehn/Butler hyperloud RX-7)

To: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Subject: Noise Pollution Discretion (wasFehn/Butler hyperloud RX-7)
From: "George Ryan" <quad4fiero@webzone.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 06:25:41 -0500
Rocky

I guess, out of all this correspondence,  that your feelings are that
the offending driver(s) should be given a chance to quieten the vehicle
before other actions are taken. And I agree with that. My "what if's"
have been extreme, only to illustrate how general and broad based
the "discretionary" statement can be.

My point originally was that there is no standards, and I feel there should
be. Others have voiced their thoughts and opinions, and with
the exception of John Lieberman and Phil Osborne, have indicated
their regions DO have some noise control limits, or that they feel they
should.

To a person, everybody agrees that the car used as an example is
very loud, most agree it is probably too loud. My point is, and has been,
there is no way of regulating the sound levels, as proven by
this vehicle  - - (probably worse case scenario).

I have been guaging the responses, and what few there have been really do
not give me any thoughts on what to suggest in a letter.

But, I actually feel a little better by the other voices indicating I am not
alone in being concerned about the lack of any regulatory standards
regarding noise "pollution" at our events.

Now, for a fair and equitable - - and enforceable - - suggestion to
fix this problem. How about  the driver(s) of any vehicle over a certain
standard be required to provide hearing protection to everybody at the event
site, or within a certain distance??

Squeeling Tires?? Man, I don't EVEN have any thoughts about that one!!