Re: new debate question, 1K in 2K?

To: lwilson1@ford.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: new debate question, 1K in 2K?
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 07:21:08 -0400
Hi Lindsay,
      You asked:

>So, the question I ask;  should an effort be made to get more drivers
>to the 2000 Tire Rack SCCA Solo2 National Championships?

<Rant mode on>

Interesting question; I'm curious as what the response to this will be,
given all the "grow the sport" posts in the past.  I'm especially
interested in the answers, since its a problem that I've run across
locally already.  I've been autocrossing for 11 years or so; started
out in Denver with the Alfa club's novice series, moved to St. Louis
and ran there for five years, and now have five years as a member of
the Washington, DC region.  In that last five years, I have run exactly
one WDC region event because they have started to allow pre-registration
and the slots are all full most of the year.  So, I run events with the
Blue Ridge region and a non-SCCA club in Richmond.  The DC region keeps
telling folks "to give Solo II a try" in their newsletter, but then there
are no slots for them to enter the event.  Sorry, but I'm not going to
drive three hours to the event site to get put on waiting list!

<Rant mode off>

John Lye
rjl6n@Virginia.edu