Re: ST tire options

To: Loren@kscable.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ST tire options
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 07:58:12 -0400
Hmmmmm, I must have had too much caffiene already today - two posts
in one day!  So, even though I don't have an iron in this particular
fire (I run in E/P - for now), I feel compelled to make the following
comments:

<Rant mode on - again>

Loren Williams wrote:

>It's the same old message, guys who like to run on R-tires don't think
>anyone should compete on street tires.  Nothing new there.  I say, if
>there are enough of us to make a class, leave us the hell alone and let
>us have our class.  Or are you concerned that it might detract from your
>STU class?

I don't think anyone has advocated banning street tires, however if you
feel that you must compete on "street" tires, don't expect to win.  It is
just the same as if you were to run your stock Saturn in E-Mod, its not
going to be competitive, but you're allowed to run there.  As far as
detracting from STU - I'm of the opinion that there are already too many
classes, and that we don't need any of these "ST-whatever" classes.

>> Race tires - especially in the 16-17 inch riceboy sizes - are a bargin.
>
>Yeah, but you can't drive them on the street.

...and your point is?  I can't drive my autocross car on the street at
all, but that's the equipment that I've chosen to compete with, so I
change to my tow vehicle when its time to go home.

So, my point is that I agree completely with whoever it was that said
something to the effect of: "I'd hate to see 'street tire' become a
National class - keep it a regional class."

<Rant mode off>

later,

John Lye

'59 TR-3A, '62 TR-4, '70 GT-6+