Nationals on Asphalt? (Was: rolling cars in autocross)

To: GSMnow@aol.com, speed42@mindspring.com
Subject: Nationals on Asphalt? (Was: rolling cars in autocross)
From: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 08:40:02 -0500

At 11:06 PM 9/23/99 , GSMnow@aol.com wrote:
>The last one was the ES car at Nationals. I did not see it happen, but know
>the area of the course well, I worked that course, and drove it. It was a
>very fast slalom into a tight 90 right turn. Many cars were getting upset by
>the manuever. The concrete has amazing grip and VW's lean ALOT.

Perhaps this is a good time to ask:  why not have Nationals on asphalt?

Points for asphalt:

        1) It is easier on tires -- less expense.

        2) It is easier on the cars -- less expense and less likelihood
           of mechanical failure ruining a few people's Nationals.

        3) Its somewhat safer (now, I am not going into some ridiculous
           rant about how we're all going to roll our cars and die; rather
           I'll just say that even a very rare rollover is one too many and
           will tend to scare off potential drivers; also consider that the
           higher likelihood of mechanical failure is also a safety issue).

        4) Its just as challenging for drivers:  it will tend to be slower
           making it a bit easier, but it will also tend to be less uniform
           (elevation changes; texture changes) making it a bit tougher.

        5) Most regional events are on asphalt -- large curb-free concrete
           is often tough to find.  And thus Nationals always on concrete
           definitely favors those few who get to drive on it more often.

I think the biggest negative is probably that you need to make sure that
you find _good_ asphalt -- asphalt that is loose, cracking, breaking up
in spots, etc., is not what I am talking about above.

Another negative, I'd guess, is that in light rain, concrete may drop off
in traction more slowly.

I am just curious why it is commonly accepted that "Nationals must be
on concrete"??

Brian