Re: Nationals on Asphalt? (Was: rolling cars in autocross)

To: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Subject: Re: Nationals on Asphalt? (Was: rolling cars in autocross)
From: Jamie Sculerati <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 11:09:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Brian M Kennedy wrote:

> I am just curious why it is commonly accepted that "Nationals must be
> on concrete"??

I'm not sure that it is -- I think the concrete surface is dictated by the
available site choices.  If you're trying to set up a week-long event for
1000 people including camping and two courses, where do you go?
A large airfield, which almost inevitably means a brushed concrete
surface.  The only places I can think of with asphalt surfaces as large
would be the parking lots outside major sports arenas or shopping malls,
which would be more expensive, less flexible in terms of use restrctions
and schedule, and have more obstacles for course, grid and paddock
designers.

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing