Re: Nationals on Asphalt? (Was: rolling cars in autocross)

To: AlanP@identicard.com, gs96@sgi.net, kennedy@i2.com, speed42@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: Nationals on Asphalt? (Was: rolling cars in autocross)
From: GSMnow@aol.com
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 12:28:39 EDT
Kent Rafferty wrote>

<>

AlanP@identicard.com wrote >

<< I wasn't there but the pictures I saw had tons of concrete debris near the
 course. That indicates to me that the surface on course must have had
 numerous irregularities. The kind that get me nervous when I walk. >>

Yes, there was some break up. But most of the debris was from the course crew
digging out the loose stuff and patching it with fast dry concrete patch.
They did this every night from before I got there Sunday til the last day of
competition. Any time a pot hole formed, they marked it and at the end of the
day it was patched for the next days runs. The south course change was just
moving one gate around a pot hole for just the whole 5th heat. Then they
patched it and the next day ran the original course again. This effect only 2
or 3 classes. And all of those drivers ran the same course. I think they did
a great job at keeping ahead of it. Having a smoother surface to start with
would be nice, but driving it it was not near as bumpy as I expected it to be
from walking it. When we have run on patched asphault, you could feel the car
loose grip over the transitions, I didn't feel any of that running on that
surface. I know my first runs were a bit slow because I expected to loose
some grip and I left room to catch it, but it stayed planted even over some
serious patches. If you have not driven on concrete, it is an experience.
Makes you think DG's 1.7G's could be real. I think Geez boxes were showing
1.3 peeks.

I'll say it one more time, I can't wait til next year!

Gary M.