Re: Concrete -vs- Asphalt

To: <JD_Kemp@notes.ymp.gov>, <Autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Concrete -vs- Asphalt
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 20:46:10 -0500
Someone always asks about this, usually a newbie (which, as our DTN, Kemp
officially is at Nationals).

But it is like this ... the airport will not let us compete on the blacktop.
In fact, they only grudglingly even let us park there! At the Divisional, we
can't. I seem to recall that it was laid down with federal funding, which
has something to do with why they cannot let us use it as a competition
surface.

Also, it is not really a thick asphalt .. just a slurry seal cap.

Say what you will about the surface breakup in the course area, fact is the
airport does spend a chunk of its own money and a lot of overtime patching
that thing for us every night. Also doing some other major patchwork in
advance of each year. Whenever I come across the airport's patching crew
while walking course, I always try to thank them for their efforts on our
behalf.

--Rocky