RE: Did you see my key?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Did you see my key?
From: PbPied@aol.com
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 21:29:07 EDT
>Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 22:23:27 -0400
>From: Mari L Clements <mrndr2@juno.com>
>Subject: Did you see my key?

<snip>
>He came back to grid and told me that there was a bad rattle during
>the first part of his run, and that he wasn't sure what it was, but it went
>away partway through.  I looked at his big ole janitor size key ring
>sticking out of the ignition and said, "Where's my key?"  He said, "Oh,
>I bet that was the noise."

>Tonight, when I came home with a trunk full of groceries and he had to
>wait a minute for me to pop the trunk release, it was suddenly MY FAULT
>that the key was lost in Topeka.

:-)~  (Comment withheld - I don't do relationships advice! )

>So if you
>1) worked or walked the North course Friday and picked up my key, bless
>you--please send that little thing back to me

Uh-oh...  On the dash did you say?  Rattle?  I'd wager about a dollar that the
key is still in the car.  It's just where you can't get at it without taking
the whole
dash apart.  Quite likely it did not go flying out the side window, but
instead
slid into one of the defroster vents up by the windshield.  Rattled around
there
until it found a nice comfy spot to stay and rest up for the remainder of the
car's
life.  Try repositioning all of the heater/defroster/airconditioning controls
while
you are driving over a slightly bumpy surface at low speed.  If you hear that
faint
little rattling sound coming from somewhere low behind the dash....

>or
>2) know how I can get a new one (we bought the car used, so don't have
>the factory key codes)
>please let me know.

>mlc
'>91 MR2 NA

The passenger side lock cylinder (as said before) is supposed to have the
code, but I have been down that route before, and it was not on a Mitsubishi
I needed a key for.

If that doesn't pan out, take out the trunk cylinder and give it, along with
the
key you have for the ignition, to a competent locksmith.  He/she (PC, eh?)
should be able to make you a key that will work in both.

Alan Sheidler