Re: Megabucks cars...

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Megabucks cars...
From: Buddy Ahlers <buddy_ahlers@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 20:47:29 -0700 (PDT)

Jeff wrote:

> >I was thinking some more about the original 427
> Cobra too. In my mind,
> >if someone bought one of those when they were cheap
> and raced it I
> >wouldn't be irritated about someone "buying the
> win." OTOH, if they
> >plunked down 500K or 1M because they had it and
> knew the car would
> >be an automatic winner with a good driver, then
> that doesn't seem fair.
> >Jeff Winchell

I have to jump in here and say what I'm sure a few
others have already said, but I need to get this off
my chest.

If a car is legal for competition, what difference
does it make how much it cost?  What's to say that I
can't spend $100,000 on my EP rabbit to make it go
fast, because I would be "buying the win"...I'm sure
if I tried hard enough, I could spend A LOT of money
on my car resulting in MUCH faster times...and still
be legal.
If I go through all the trouble to figure out how to
spend that much and make it work for me and still be
legal (and I have it to spend) or if someone that
really likes me will lend it to me, then I should be
able to run it, no matter how much it cost...provided
it is legal.
If 40 NASCAR teams, or 40 F1 teams only had 1 million
bucks to spend, and three or four had 10 million to
spend, would they say, "I'm sorry, you can't spend all
your money on your car." (OK, so maybe they would.)
But what they might do is go over those cars looking
for anything to protest it to get it thrown out...hmmm
sound familiar?
I didn't think so either ;-)

Buddy "If I had it to spend, I would" Ahlers