Re: Megabucks cars...

To: Jeff Winchell <Jeff@Winchell.Com>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Megabucks cars...
From: Buddy Ahlers <buddy_ahlers@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 21:12:59 -0700 (PDT)

--- Jeff Winchell <Jeff@Winchell.Com> wrote:
> > If a car is legal for competition, what difference
> > does it make how much it cost?
>
> I think the answer to that question is found further
> below in the same
> message.
>
> > If 40 NASCAR teams, or 40 F1 teams only had 1
> million
> > bucks to spend, and three or four had 10 million
> > spend, would they say, "I'm sorry, you can't spend
> all
> > your money on your car." (OK, so maybe they
> would.)
>
> Spending caps aren't new or radical.
> Jeff Winchell
> http://PonyCar.Net

Yeah, money caps aren't new or radical, but I never
said that i agreed with them either.  I think they are
instituted to save time in impound.  The more you
spend and the more high tech stuff you use on your
car, the greater the chances of being protested.

Part of the beauty of our sport is that it was set up
to allow anyone to run anything they bring, provided
it is legal and safe.  If I go down and pick up a
$179,000 911 Twin Turbo S, you can be sure that I
would be super P.O.ed if I was told that I couldn't
run my toy cause i spent too much on it.  Or try
telling the guy that rolls up in his brand new Momo
Edition Lambo that runs about $330,000 that they
aren't allowed to play?  I'd be more than happy to
have one of them run.  If they show up to an event,
the word would get out, and I'd almost guarantee some
more folks would show up just to check out the cars.
Besides, if someone with that much cash gets involved,
it can't be bad for your club...provided you don't
piss them off by telling them they can't play.
Just make sure you put them in the right class...

Buddy