Re: Nationals dates: Was rain and surface.

To: Steve Ostrovitz <ostrovi@gateway.net>
Subject: Re: Nationals dates: Was rain and surface.
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 12:27:29 -0700

Steve Ostrovitz wrote:

> A little more than a year ago I brought up the prospect of having Nationals
> before the school year started.

I brought it up two years ago. Having Nats during school times is
difficult for me also, and I am sure many others.

 Yes this is self-serving to some extent
> because I teach a few classes part time and hate to give them up. But how
> many people do we lose because they can't miss that first or second week of
> school? I've always had a sense that a significant number of people on this
> list are educators and, of course, college students. Move it to August and
> you'll have your 1000 drivers.
>
> And what about the individual/families that don't attend because parents
> can't take their young kids out of school so soon after returning from
> summer vacation?

I can't pull my kids out of school, and I have to choose between going
alone and leaving the wife with the children, or not going. Coming from
a far distance, it takes a lot of time to make Nats including
travelling. For me, it is difficult to make the trip, and it would be
easier before school starts.

If Nats were two weeks earlier, I would have been there this year.

Two years, I took a poll on another mailing list of parents with special
needs children. I asked them when their school years started.
Surprisingly, a good perecentage still started in August. There were
also some good responses on team.net about reasons for having the nats
later. I would still like to see it before Labor Day, but I have doubts
it will happen.

Randy Chase