Re: Rain at Nats, solutions? :-)

To: lollipop@ricochet.net, Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Subject: Re: Rain at Nats, solutions? :-)
From: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 14:37:18 -0500
At 02:01 PM 9/26/99 , Pat Kelly wrote:
>Colorado for nationals? The last time I ran our 7 at high altitude (anything
>over
>2000 ft, this was a 6000 ft; isn't Colorado Springs somewhere around 5000
>ft?),

Yes, actually mid-5's at PPIR, but less than 6000.  The world starts changing
dramatically about 7500ft... and its a whole different world at 10000ft.
But you have a valid point...

>I ran it on the lowest octane available to compensate for the lack of oxygen
>in the air. Those who ran on high octane had a lot of trouble with carburetion
>(carburetion is a lost concept among the newer cars, but it still exists in
>older ones).

I'll let those with direct experience jump in on the issue of carburetors.

With newer FI cars, I've noticed little effect... actually 100 degree temps
have more of a draining effect on my car than 5800ft does.  I've heard of a
few people who have done minor re-tuning of their cars for that altitude,
but I think most run just fine without thinking about it.

You _do_ use lower octane gas, but you don't even have to think about that...
"super" gas in CO Springs is 89-91.  In fact, for FI cars, the biggest
problem may be all the unexpecting drivers panic'ing (unnecessarily) when
they arrive and cannot find a gas station that sells their
normal 93 octane gas.  ;^)

But for all those older cars, ... how about some RMDiv people jumping in?

Brian