Re: Rain at Nats, solutions?

To: <Smokerbros@aol.com>, <ahollis@origin.ea.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rain at Nats, solutions?
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 21:02:10 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Smokerbros@aol.com

>Andy Hollis writes:
>
>> A couple of solutions to consider:
>>
>>  1) Hold Nationals earlier (didn't we used to run the week prior?).  The
>>  later into September you go, the more likely is the rain.  Anyone have
rain
>>  charts for Kansas?
>
>I seem to remember hearing that August is statistically rainier than
>September.  Not sure about stats on particular weeks .  Rocky?

Yep. August is the wettest month in Kansas, averaging around 4.5 inches per
month. September, comparably, is closer to about 3 inches per month.

(as a side note, when I was at the paper I always got a wry giggle at
harvest time when the farmers complained they couldn't harvest because the
fields were wet. Funny thing about wheat. It wants to ripen in June, which
also has 4+ inches of rain statistically.) And those summer storms are more
likely to be thunderhead nasties than that nice pre-autumn rain we had this
year. I seem to recall at least one Divisional in Salina (mid-summer) where
we shut the event down for an hour because of lightning activity. Not that
it can't happen in September, just the likelihood is a bit less.

--Rocky