X-Stock? BMW Z8... 400hp, 3000#, 0-60 in low 4's

To: Digest Auto-x <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: X-Stock? BMW Z8... 400hp, 3000#, 0-60 in low 4's
From: Ron Katona <ron3b@cris.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 21:48:48 -0700
Brian M Kennedy wrote:
> My new dream car... the Z8... a 3000# 400HP Z3, should run 0-60 in the
> low 4's.  Will it be classed in SS?  Somehow I doubt it!  Is it doomed
> to go the way of the other great sports cars and disallowed in Stock?

Hate to ruin a dream, but... I don't think it will outperform a C5.
There, I'm a BMW nut and I said it. The problem is that the M Roadster
already weighs 3000 lb or more. The Z8 is going to be a flagship model
crammed with every techno-luxo "feature" in the BMW inventory. It will
weigh 3500 lb according to BMW NA's web site! The power to weight ratio
will not exceed other SS cars by a significant amount. Aerodynamically
it's not good either, although for autocross that's not a factor. SS is
probably a good place for it, although because it's overweight it won't
scare too many people there.
--
Ron "I'll keep my M3, thank you" Katona
Ron "I wish BMW built the S2000" Katona