Re: X-Stock? BMW Z8... 400hp, 3000#, 0-60 in low 4's

To: Ron Katona <ron3b@cris.com>, Digest Auto-x <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: X-Stock? BMW Z8... 400hp, 3000#, 0-60 in low 4's
From: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 00:15:18 -0500
At 11:48 PM 9/27/99 , Ron Katona wrote:
>Brian M Kennedy wrote:
>> My new dream car... the Z8... a 3000# 400HP Z3, should run 0-60 in the
>> low 4's.  Will it be classed in SS?  Somehow I doubt it!  Is it doomed
>> to go the way of the other great sports cars and disallowed in Stock?
>
>Hate to ruin a dream, but... I don't think it will outperform a C5.
>There, I'm a BMW nut and I said it. The problem is that the M Roadster
>already weighs 3000 lb or more. The Z8 is going to be a flagship model
>crammed with every techno-luxo "feature" in the BMW inventory. It will
>weigh 3500 lb according to BMW NA's web site!

Yep, that would ruin a dream -- haven't seen that quote.  The quotes I've
seen say they are using an aluminum skin and aluminum space frame in
order to keep the weight under their target:  3080 lbs.  Although not
the 2600# weight I'd like to see, its not too bad... and that with the
0-60 times in the low 4's, might put a bit of fright into SS... though
I'm still not sure it could beat the RX7TT in an autocross.

I'll have to look for the figure you mention.

>Ron "I'll keep my M3, thank you" Katona
Brian "I'll be keeping mine too; its my family sedan" Kennedy

>Ron "I wish BMW built the S2000" Katona
Brian "I'll second that" Kennedy

>Ron "How 'bout the F360 if you're gonna dream" Katona
Brian "Okay, but will they let it play in Stock?" Kennedy
Brian "(Can you imagine the depreciation if you prepped it for SP!)" Kennedy