Re: Autocross Timing/Scoring Software

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Subject: Re: Autocross Timing/Scoring Software
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 14:53:32 -0400
"Mark J. Andy" wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Mark Sirota wrote:
>> I wonder if John Carriere or any of the other standalone timer folks
>> might be interested in developing such a card specifically for
>> autocross timing applications.  That would be a good way to hedge
>> against the trend towards computer-based timing systems.
>
> Having it be a card could kinda suck though...  Can't operate
> standalone, can't make it talk to a laptop (and who wants to setup a
> desktop PC in a van?), etc.
>
> If I were a timer manufacturer and I was convinced the market was good
> enough (hah!), I'd develop a box with the card you mention above in
> it, and have it speak serially to my win32 app.  I'd also put the most
> basic rudimentary controls on the box itself so that if forced to, it
> could work without the other computer around.
>
> But that's just me.

I agree, that makes good sense.  I was thinking of it from this point of

(1) There seem to be a lot of folks out there willing to use PC
architectures and Microsoft OS combos for timing, living with the
liabilities of poor accuracy and repeatability.

(2) These people have already invested in the hardware needed for
*scoring*, and are using that same hardware for *timing*.

(3) On the assumption that scoring is largely a software function and
timing is a hardware function, these people may be willing to invest a
SMALL amount of money into proper hardware for timing that could
interface with their existing or new PC/Microsoft scoring system.

Such a system would need to be a lot less expensive than a fully-
functional standalone box, such as the very popular offerings from
JACircuits.  I'm envisioning something to do the timing and only the
timing, plus an interface to scoring.  Any add-on do-dads that you
include, such as displays, buttons, etc. add both to the cost and the
footprint.

You're right, something on a PCI card or similar form factor won't work
with a laptop.  Perhaps a PCMCIA interface could be developed.  If not,
then a standalone box with a serial connection might be the next best
option.  Alternately, port replicators or docking stations are
available for many laptops that have PCI (or ISA/EISA) slots.

Mark