RE: What happened to Stock Class?

To: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Subject: RE: What happened to Stock Class?
From: "Jason Saini" <jason@intcs.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 16:22:12 -0600
Jamie Sculateri wrote:
> As far as the Integra GS-R goes, there are plenty of instances where
> multiple variants of different performance are classed together.  All V-8
> pony cars, for example.  Later model Corvettes  1st, 2d and 3d-generation
> Preludes.  That means some drivers are at a disadvantage (a 1st-gen
> Prelude has an 72-hp engine propelling 2100 lbs -- the late 3d gens have
> 135 propelling 270...there's about a 9 lb/hp difference).  Not all cars
> can be at the front.

Point well taken here... except we're talking about the same generation,
same model year, same everything; but with a modified engine, suspension and
brakes.  The mods would actually put the car into Prepared if there was no
such thing as a Type-R.  Because they are factory mods they are legal in
stock?  I guess it's kind of like having the ACR and regular Neon 4-door in
the same class... they were at first, but quickly it was determined that the
ACR's were too much faster, so they were bumped up to DS.  That is the point
I was trying to make.

> The DSM cars are an interesting case.  Until 1997 or 1998, these were not
> regarded as serious GS competitors.  Too heavy, too much turbo lag, too
> soft.  Then a couple of people started seriously playing with them and it
> became the "dominant" car in GS in 1998.  Like the V-6 Camaro had been the
> "dominant" car the year before, and the Type R the "dominant" car the year
> after.
>
> IMO, GS is already a competitive and interesting class.  Of the cars you
> mentioned, there are plenty of Probes, MX-6s and Camaros doing pretty well
> at the regional and divisional levels, based on a scan of results.  VW
> Corrados were pretty rare to begin with, which is probably why we don't
> see more -- but a well-setup example should still do pretty well in the
> hands of a decent driver.

And I guess this is the key to the whole argument... some of the cars are
not well represented preparation-wise or driver-wise.  Like you mentioned,
no-one considered the DSM cars due to their weight and soft suspension...
but, with the right tuning, and good drivers, see what it can do?  It is at
times a matter of what cars people try, and try in the right way, with
thorough preparation and good driving.  I happen to have a Corrado with the
VR6, and I think that it could do quite well with shocks etc.  But unless a
'known quantity' type driver tries a car, like has happened with the Type-R
and DSM's, no-one will know if a car is capable.  Next year, I plan to build
up my Corrado for stock-class and give it a try... we'll see what happens!

> The GS-R is still at a disadvantage in this company -- it suffers from the
> same lack of torque the Type R does, only more so.  The Contour?  Come on
> -- I *have* a V-6, 5-speed Mystique...a nice car (it's for sale, by the
> way), but I'm not giving up my Prelude for it.  Granted, the SVT Contours
> are tighter, but they're still pretty heavy.

I've seen V-6 Contours run some amazing times!  Also, a while back
Grassroots did a test and tried a stock Contour against a 'set-up' MX-6.
They were able to match the MX-6 times with the stock Contour!

> No...GS is just fine.  I'm still convinced it's the *driver* that makes
> the difference.

This is really what it boils down to...  The setup and the driver.  It takes
a serious competitor, with great setup ability to take a *new* or
*different* car to the fore-front of a class.  Someone did it with the
Camaro, the DSM and the Type-R.  I believe the Camaro and the Type-R are
no-brainers to do well, but the DSM's?...  if they can do it then there may
just be hope for my Corrado!

-Jason Saini,
 Chicago, IL  .  '93 Corrado VR6  .  'GS underdog'