Re: What happened to Stock Class?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What happened to Stock Class?
From: "Jason Saini" <jason@intcs.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 10:05:10 -0600
Jeff Cashmore wrote:
>Jason, you can't have it both ways.  Are you saying that if the cars all
run the

>same times then 30 hp or 300 lb weight differences don't matter and we
>should combine DS through HS?  Or are you saying that cars of similar hp
and/or
>weight should be classed together?  Are you doing long term comparisons
>of classes from different parts of the country or just looking at one weeks
>results on one surface?

I know I can't have it both ways, and I wasn't really *asking* for any
changes... I was merely starting a debate to see other's feelings on the
class.  Also, I have been looking at all Pro/National results for the past
couple years, as well as any local results I can find on the Internet.

Also, as far as similar weight vs. hp, that is not a good way to class cars,
when there are other factors such as suspension design, turbos and all-wheel
drive.  I know that the lbs./Hp ratio for the Type-R and Eclipse are right
in line with the rest of GS (give-or-take), but the tuned suspension of the
Type-R and the All-wheel drive/turbo of the Eclipse make them overdogs.  All
I'm saying is that if a car is classed somewhere is basically un-beatable,
then we should look at more than weight and hp to evaluate their classing.

I am trying to decide what to run next year, and right now I have a Corrado
VR6.  I have been doing OK time-wise (usually around a second behind) vs.
locals Fortini, Wilson etc (top 10-15 Nationals)...  And I have no shocks,
and a set of 2 year old narrow tires.

With some fresh, wider tires, and a good set of shocks, I think the car
could compete very well with the Probes, MX-6's, Camaros etc...  But, as Joe
Goeke stated:

>For what I have been told, for unknown reasons to me, the SCAC/SEB
>still do not think the Type R is an over dog in GS.  ***While I see the
Talon
>to be close or maybe as quick, the others don't stand a chance.***  Just
look
>at that data from this year.

And that is my point... as with many other classes, you have maybe 1-3
choices of cars that can compete.  That is simply the nature of cars... some
perform better, and will negotiate a course faster.

I'm not trying to assert the view that the Type-R and Eclipse should
immediately be usurped from the class to preserve the integrity of the
club... I am merely trying to get people thinking about fairness in
classification.  I suspect I would be much more apt to write letters and
throw fits if I had a ton of development in an MX-6 or Camaro, but the fact
of the matter is that of all the 'also-rans' that I mentioned, only the
Camaro is still produced....

Maybe that's the point altogether (and it's interesting that the 914 thread
kicked up also) is that the older cars simply can't compete anymore, and if
you want to compete, you must get the new 'hot-ticket' for the class.  Even
if that simply means the newest generation of the same car (Miata).

But all of this leaves me even more lost in trying to decide whether to give
the Corrado a shot, or ditch it for a sure thing...  Maybe the old Corrado
is the next hot ticket??  Maybe we'll never know... especially if I buy that
used Type-R that I'm looking at!  Or maybe I should give my '00 GTI a try,
with a stiffer unibody, more torque and 7 degrees of caster (heavier and
higher CG however)...  hmmmm decisions, decisions!

-Jason Saini  .  Chicago, IL  .  '93 Corrado  .  '00 GTI-VR6