Re: What happened to Stock Class?

To: "autocross" <AUTOX@autox.team.net>, "Mark Sirota" <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: What happened to Stock Class?
From: "Justin Hughes" <ka1ult@channel1.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 13:35:45 -0500
> Sometime, somebody must have realized that people interested in
> autocross didn't generally drive cars like those, so we were effectively
> wasting a class on cars that nobody brought.  So HS now includes
> somewhat sportier cars -- cars that are much more like ES.

Actually, on the flip side, if you compare ES and HS, you'll find that many
of the same models appear in both classes, but in different trim.  For
example, the Ford Escort LX in HS and Escort GT in ES, or the Saturn S*1 in
HS and S*2 in ES.  The ES versions of these belong in ES - they're the high
end models of these cars with more powerful engines and generally better
suspension and brakes.  The lower versions are the basic econoboxes that you
describe as HS material.  Which also goes back to the point of some of these
cars being designed better these days.  Some of these high end econoboxes
(sounds like an oxymoron, I know) can keep right up with and beat some of
the purpose built sports cars in ES.

I'm not at all disagreeing with what you're saying, just adding another
perspective to it.

    - Justin