Re: Clarification needed - "coilovers" in street prepared.

To: "Steven N. Burkett" <sburkett@ooi.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Clarification needed - "coilovers" in street prepared.
From: "Scot Zediker" <roadsterboy@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 16:27:13 -0700
If the suspension in your RX-7 looks anything like that of a Miata, your
stock setup is a coil-over type suspension.  The common usage for
"coil-over" usually denotes a setup on which the vehicle's ride height can
be adjusted by raising or lowering the lower spring perch.

But going by the strictest definition, the stock spring/shock setup on a
Miata (and your RX-7, if it is similar) qualifies as a coil-over suspension,
as would a typical MacPherson/Chapman strut suspension.  The way I read the
rule, I could legally add a coil-over setup from, say, Ground Control or
Truechoice, and still be legal in SP, although for me this isn't an issue
yet.

Hope this helps!

Scot
'91 CS Miata