Re: why the harrisburg pro took less time

To: alextz@ss112.rsch.comm.mot.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: why the harrisburg pro took less time
From: "Arthur Emerson" <vreihen@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 10:04:01 PDT
Alek Tziortzis <alextz@ss112.rsch.comm.mot.com> wrote:

>I vote that the shot clock be changed to 20 seconds for
>subsequent events.

Over the past three years, I have found that I can be
staged in the lights with 17 seconds left on the clock,
shift reverse, and still be back into the stage beams
with 11 seconds left.  I second your vote to shorten
the shot clock by 5 seconds, especially if it means
making each heat at a 200-car ProSolo shorter by about
half an hour.  The only problem that I see is from
a courseworker's prospective, since they will have 5
seconds less to reset cones.

Now, on to a ProSolo subject that might be taboo but deserves
mentioning.  Somehow, the powers that be decided that
I should push the magic button in Harrisburg during one
heat.  Some of the things that I saw the tree do were
beyond spooky.  The first yellow of the right lane got
stuck on about three times during the heat, turning off
either when the last yellow came on or when the green came
on.  At other times, I swear that I could see up to a
0.1 second difference between the right and left side
of the tree, during class competition when there was
no dial-in being used.  One of our local old-timers
tells a story of why he doesn't run ProSolo any more.
Apparently, he never got a green light during a challenge
round back in the tennis ball and string days, and the
event officials told him tough luck.  If this is the
same tree used back then, it may be worth investigating
either the integrity of the existing system or replacing
it with more current electronics.  Did somebody say
reaction time display????? :-)

-Arthur ("Figured out the magic wheel chock!!!" edition.)