Re: NorPac Divisional Course question

To: jcgz3@hotmail.com, ronbauer@aa.net, kevin_stevens@hotmail.com,
Subject: Re: NorPac Divisional Course question
From: "Kevin Stevens" <kevin_stevens@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 16:20:50 PDT
>Spins are usually caused by a build up of oscillations un corrected
>(like in any slalom) and/or having the car on edge and doing a
>sudden change (like brake or let up off the gas as most do at the finish).
>Combine that with the enthusiasm of a finish, and you get more spins than
>normal :-).

Absolutely.  My question is, why wasn't I in trouble with my Corvette?  It's
certainly wider, therefore transitioning further side-to-side; it shouldn't
really be more stable than the other cars (??), and theoretically I was
accelerating at least as hard as any AS car.  The only thing I can think of
is that I was carrying significantly less speed through the preceding turn??
  (Though I can't have been going TOO slow there, I was turning low 39's...)

>When I design courses, I usually try to protect the finish lights, by
>placing a lot
>of distance from the last element and the timing lights.  In your case you
>didn't have the room to extend the timing lights
>further down, so to protect the lights more, you would have needed to
>reduce or remove the final slalom.

And they actually did open the cone spacing up on Sunday morning for just
that reason.

>Saturdays course had the same problem in the final turn as it took >you
>right out to the lights.

Saturday wasn't a problem, I spun there just fine, thanks!  First run, take
out the apex cone.  Second run, miss the apex cone, almost take out the
lights, lift to avoid them and spin through the infield.  Third run, lift
before entering  ;(.

KeS