Re: Solo costs

To: "Stephen Bernard" <solo-2@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Solo costs
From: "Rick Brown" <free2000@quixnet.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 18:29:43 -0700
From: Stephen Bernard <solo-2@juno.com>

> > Actually, in most Solo 1's (not counting hill climbs and excluding
> > the cost
> > of safety equipment-which doesn't have to be $1000, only a roll BAR
> > required
> > in closed cars), if you look at the cost per track time it's a much
> > better
> > deal than Solo 2. Some events I've been in cost only $50 for 1 day
>
> Well my Miata would cost a wee bit more for Solo 1 since it's tough
> to put the top up with a roll bar that is 2 inches above my head
> and I'm not that tall.

I believe bolt in roll bars are legal.........but not sure.

> > and I got
> > 3 track sessions of about 15 to 20 minutes.  Different regions run
> > their track Solo 1's differently but the pricing is probably the same.
>
> > That's only $1 to $2 per minute.
>
> Well I am certain that you know more about Solo 12 than I do.
> But tires aren't cheap and theer are plenty of other costs.

Depends on what you drive and what tires you choose.  We use racing slicks
(but not the softest compound) which are probably more expensive and don't
last as long as what you can run. And there are fewer events.  You could
probably get most of a season on road racing tires.

> I don't see it as being as cheap as Solo 2.

Maybe some higher start up costs.  But there are fewer events.
You may have to travel further to get to a track.  Depends on
what level you compete at in Solo 2.

> I do see it as a step up cost wise from Solo 2 and I would imagine
> a higher level of commitment.

Not really. I do it mainly for fun. If I were to get real serious I'd
probably
go club racing.  Remember, Solo 1 is low key, not really "racing".  You are
on
track with other cars, but strict passing rules (straights only) and no real
racing,
it's practice sessions then individual timed runs.  Get the feel of being on
a race
track with others without the pressure or likelyhood of car contact. You can
use it as a step toward club racing or just for the fun of going faster and
longer
than in Solo 2.  It IS a step up in thrill factor :-))

> Also are the cars still fairly streetable with a fire suspression
> system inside them?

Only need a fire extinguisher, not a system.

Rick Brown
FP/GT2 240Z