Re: Solo costs

To: free2000@quixnet.net
Subject: Re: Solo costs
From: Stephen Bernard <solo-2@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 21:41:42 -0400
> > Well my Miata would cost a wee bit more for Solo 1 since it's
> tough
> > to put the top up with a roll bar that is 2 inches above my head
> > and I'm not that tall.
>
> I believe bolt in roll bars are legal.........but not sure.

Yes i believe they are legal but they cannot be welded in.
(uncertain about that part) but for the roll bar to be 2 inches
above my head I would no longer be able to use my top
rendering the car useless as a daily driver.

> Depends on what you drive and what tires you choose.  We use racing
> slicks
> (but not the softest compound) which are probably more expensive and
> don't
> last as long as what you can run. And there are fewer events.  You
> could
> probably get most of a season on road racing tires.

I'm thinking that it's expensive for various reasons but
I don't think it's prohibitively expensive.

> > I don't see it as being as cheap as Solo 2.
>
> Maybe some higher start up costs.  But there are fewer events.
> You may have to travel further to get to a track.  Depends on
> what level you compete at in Solo 2.

I guess it's relative but Solo 2 can add up if you travel to events
although less chance of hitting a wall in Solo 2.

> Not really. I do it mainly for fun. If I were to get real serious
> I'd probably go club racing.  Remember, Solo 1 is low key, not really
"racing".

Or you could do Spec racing right?

> use it as a step toward club racing or just for the fun of going
> faster and longer
> than in Solo 2.  It IS a step up in thrill factor :-))

I'm certain it is a step up in some ways, although I really
do enjoy Solo 2.

> Only need a fire extinguisher, not a system.

ok that's not as bad as a system.

Steve Bernard
Red '99 Miata (B-Stock)
NER Region (Novice Class)