Re: ProSolo, Spectators, TV, et al.

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ProSolo, Spectators, TV, et al.
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 18:11:30 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: <dg50@daimlerchrysler.com>
To: <autox@autox.team.net>

> A better case can be made if the site is co-located with an existing
> motorsports facility.

This is already happening in a few places.  According to their advertising,
the "new" Virginia International Raceway complex has a space suitable for
autocrossing.  The folks running San Francisco Region's Thunderhill Park
track have brought up the subject before, too.  These two examples are both
working against better located and established venues, but the awareness is
there.

> If you're building a NASCAR oval, then it'd be relatively trivial to
either design a portion of the main parking > lot to accomodate autocross,
or to pave the entire infield. Of course, if the
> infield is paved, then you get to pay the operating costs for a NASCAR
> facility for a weekend....

With autocross becoming less of a secret sport, that could change with a
little work.  What's tougher is working out conflicts with higher-paying
events at a track or any other sports site.  Assuming people would come and
pay a buck or two to watch an autocross (not an outrageous possiblity if
done right), that can't compete with the revenue generated by bigger
motorsports events which need that same parking lot for spectators to park
their cars.  And don't even think of using the infield during a race....

So you're either stuck locating a little-used, cash-hungry site, or
foregoing the dual-use concept.  You're probably better off finding a
combination of both -- a place hungry enough to try out a new idea, and
willing to adapt what they have (or invest in modifications) to allow you to
run events without the danger of getting kicked out at the last minute.  The
Washington DC Region worked out a really slick deal with Summit Point to use
their training circuit last year (and again for two events this year) --
which worked even while a road race was running on the adjacent main
circuit.  Spectator locations weren't the best, but with a little
imagination, there were possbilities.  I'll bet there are similar
possibilities at regional tracks and testing grounds all over the U.S.

Will people come to watch?  The two primary sites the Metro Washington
Council of Sports Car Clubs use are located where they are visible from main
thoroughfares -- and we have plenty of "drop-in" spectators, many (I'll
hesitate to say "most") of which are not connected with any of the
participants.  That's with no advertising, no spectator accomodations, no
nothing except something interesting going on in that parking lot over
there....

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing