Re: ProSolo, Spectators, TV, et al.

To: AutoX List <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ProSolo, Spectators, TV, et al.
From: Jon Rush <jonathan.rush@sdrc.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 14:46:32 -0400
I don't know where you live, but putting down a big square of asphalt is
darn near impossible in SE Pennsylvania.
-Townships just don't want a "motorsports park" in their bailiwick. The
common reasons cited are noise and traffic.
-Zoning rules are a huge problem. There isn't any allowance for large
expanses of asphalt. Water runoff and greenspace being two big
restrictions. PA has some very hostile zoning ordinances.
-Someone around here calculated $500,000 for a good sized lot worth of
asphalt. Figure out the debt service on that for a year, and back
calculate the weekend rental fee assuming you can't rent it during the
week, and some of the winter months.
-There are always the liability, security, cleanliness, vandalism and
access issues which may require a part time attendant. So factor in some
salary.

Ask the guys who tried to get Formula Motorsports Park off the ground
(http://formulaclub.com/) about their journey. They still haven't gotten
the autox lot built after 6 years.

All that being said, I have a suggestion that no one has taken me up on.
In Pennsylvania we have what are called brownfield sites. They are
former industrial sites that have been contaminated to the point where
they are unsuitable for continuos human habitation, but not so bad that
occasional visits by humans are prohibited. They can be remediated
rather simply, sometimes even a coat of asphalt is all that the state
requires. Many of these sites already have parking lots and site access
control measures in place, if not always in the greatest of shape. PA is
begging developers to take these sites off their hands and offer
generous assistance for remediation. From a zoning standpoint, free rein
is often given in exchange for fixing up the site. Sounds like a perfect
fit for our club's needs, eh?

Jon Rush