Re: ProSolo, Spectators, TV, et al.

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ProSolo, Spectators, TV, et al.
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 15:41:58 -0400
"Arthur Emerson" <vreihen@hotmail.com> wrote:

> The road to success, IMHO, begins with the construction
> of a dedicated ProSolo facility near a major metropolitan
> area.

I'm way ahead of you here - I made a post about a year ago that had an
ASCII drawing of such a facility.

After doing some research, and talking to some people who actually know
something about real estate and construction, the big fly in the ointment
is the cost of paving the site, especially if you want concrete. It takes a
loooong time to make the cost of that back, so long that it's hard to make
a business case to something like an investment bank. Unless you have the
money up front (Hi Scotty!) it's hard to justify it.

A better case can be made if the site is co-located with an existing
motorsports facility. If you're building a NASCAR oval, then it'd be
relatively trivial to either design a portion of the main parking lot to
accomodate autocross, or to pave the entire infield. Of course, if the
infield is paved, then you get to pay the operating costs for a NASCAR
facility for a weekend....

You're far better off if you can locate a big chunk of already-existing
pavement, and then adapt it into a permenent facility. *cough* Peru *cough*

That being said, if I had a couple of mil to burn, I'd love to try building
a permenent facility as an experiment. What a shame that I seem to be
lacking at the moment. :(

DG