Re: hassled by The Man

To: Rick Brown <free2000@quixnet.net>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: hassled by The Man
From: Mike Lamfalusi <lamfalus@excite.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 15:04:33 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 14:45:16 -0700, Rick Brown wrote:
>  One of the things that really bothers me about all this (targeting sports
>  cars out of a group), is that "us" are probably much better/safer drivers
>  than "them".  I'd bet experienced autocrossers are probably the top 1% of
>  skilled drivers on the street.  I know I've avoided several accidents
over

I agree with this but at the same time try not to think or talk about it
because the second I think it and tell people I am a much better than
average driver and pat myself on the back, I know I'll do something stupid.
I just don't want to get overconfident in my abilities.

>  close my eyes and crash.  I tend to be over the speed limit most of the
>  time, but always well within my skills and my **car's abilities** and
based on
>  the surrounding conditions.  Always thought it would be nice if there
were

Now there is something that is true about most, if not all, of us.  I bet
that if nothing else, our cars tend to be in much better mechanical shape
than the average joe's car on the road.  I have respect for high(er) speeds
even in my car which has high quality (performance) tires, brakes, and
suspension.  It just kills me when I see some total beater (or unstable or
very large vehicle) flying along at 80+ down the highway.  If someone slower
changes lanes in front of them, I just think, "There ain't no way that that
car will be able to avoid a collision by braking or swerving in that thing."
I guess that's just some evolution at work there.  Problem is, they may take
someone innocent with them.

>  different grades of driver's licenses and your speed limit and lanes you
>  could use were based on the license.  I know, not practical, but one can

Ah, yes we can...

Mike Lamfalusi
'97 VW Jetta GLX
GS - Chicago Region