Re: disallowed modifications which make no difference

To: "Travis Lane" <gofastlane@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: disallowed modifications which make no difference
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 00:20:52 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Travis Lane <gofastlane@yahoo.com>
To: National Autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Date: Tuesday, July 04, 2000 5:39 PM

>At some point in my illustrious career at UMCP I learned a simple
engineering
>axiom, "Any difference which makes no difference, is no difference at all."
>This came to mind as I read the SEB approved SCAC recommendation, which
>becomes effective on 1/1/2001, which states:
>
>BMW M3 (E30), from AS to GS

>I'm running it competitively in CSP, yet haven't had
>it long enough to complete the allowed mods for CSP, but I'm going to Nats
and
>intend to have it all sorted out by then, replete with welded on
>reinforcements so the sway bar doesn't rip the tab off the trailing arm and
>flared fenders for those beefy 245/45/16's.
>
>The car is going to kill everything in GS next year, so I'm
>gonna have to move back to stock and remove all the goodies.  Easy enough,
>except for the welded on reinforcements (which provided no competitive
>advantage--unless you count NOT having to spend money on a new trailing arm
as
>an advantage) and the flared fenders (again, no competitive advantage
because
>they will be housing the stock wheels, with 225/50/15 tires which easily
fit
>without the flare).
>
>Question:  Am I asking to be protest bait?

Absolutely.
Fender flares on a stock car?
A stock car that many of the GS competitors may be unhappy to have in their
class in the first place?
Protest bait.  And the protest will be upheld.

>Will the SEB see that the mods
>provide no advantage, how about if I provide 16 8x10 color, glossy,
>photographs with circles and arrows and a description on the back of each
>one...<end of Arlo Guthrie tribute> :-)

They will take your belt because they don't want no hangings.  You are going
to have to pay fifty dollars and pick up the garbage.

>Anybody had any experience with this sorta thing or perhaps care to suggest
>that I shutup and forward this message on to the SEB.

Don't bother.  They are not going to give you a free pass on flares.

You made your Street Prepared bed.  So either lie on it or pay the big money
to get the car back to stock.

>Thanks for making it this far,

You might not thank me if the directness of my reply offends you.