Sequential Stock Classes

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Sequential Stock Classes
From: Ben Thatcher <bthatch@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 17:32:28 -0400
Bill Martin sez:

Perhaps a better approach would be to abandon SC,BoB in favor of straight
AX
potential.  Class 1 is for your fastest cars, Class 9 for slowest.

(snip)  The initial placement would of course be by SEB with SCAC input.
Errors could be sorted out along the way, and fixing them is pretty easy
since all the rungs of the ladder are now sequential.

As to course dependency, I think you have to aim for a typical Nationals
/ Tour type
course.  This means regions running on postage stamp courses or running
pseudo Solo I's will have some problems.  But hey, there's never going to
be
a perfect solution.  I believe there will be fewer built-in inequities
with
this type of system, and it could significantly reduce costs of this
sport
by giving older cars an opportunity for ongoing competitive classing.

My reply:

Hear, hear for this proposal!!! Brilliantly simple and easy to sort cars.
I LIKE IT. Kinda takes the politics and sponsorship potential inequities
out of it, too. Let's do it. But, methinks, some will hate the simplicity
of it.

Ben Thatcher
Apex Benefit Services & Motorsports
Stockbridge, GA