Re: SS/WS6 stock classification

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SS/WS6 stock classification
From: Matthew Carson <mcars@vt.edu>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 22:59:06 -0400
>OPTIONAL SLP CAMARO SS CONTENT (Requires Option Code Y2Y)
>  Auburn High Torque Performance Differential Offers enhanced traction and
helps reduce differential operating temperatures under certain driving
conditions. This system, which features a unique American Axle
Manufacturing aluminum rear axle cover design, detects variance in the
gripping force of each rear tire and redistributes the engine load as road
conditions change, thereby enhancing vehicle stability and performance.
$899.00  US  $1,270.00  CANADA

>*** This is not true... I spoke with Ward Bowerman of Zexel-Torsen, the
difference between this unit, and the '99 and up Stock Torsen is that in
'99 it was re-tooled for Mass Production, and '98 was limited production.
Torque Bias is no different then all '99 and new LS-1 cars.***

        I am not sure what you are saying here.  It sounds like you are saying
the
SLP diff is the same as the stock one.  That is true on SS cars without the
above option yes.  However you can get this optional diff, and it is
definitely NOT factory installed.  I know it transmits more torque because
occasionally we have one come back from SLP with this diff and have to run
it through the end of line test again.  (My job is software for the end of
line tests on F and Y cars, we pull it on this four wheel dyno type thing
and test a whole series of things.)  On cars with this diff we have to
change the way our traction control test works.  We fire each individual
rear brake, and on these cars we have trouble identifying which wheel is
being slowed by the brakes since the torque from the one wheel is
transmitted to the other.  I don't think this diff should be allowed in FS,
as I know the differential is kind of the achilles heel of F cars...  After
all, what's the first thing people change when they go to ESP?
        I don't know if you can get this diff on a WS6, I would believe it if
you
couldn't.

>  17" x 9" Chrome-Plated, Five-Spoke Aluminum Wheels SLP offers a
lightweight, chrome-plated wheel for 2000 that includes a 3-year/36,000
mile limited warranty on the chrome finish. Wheel center-cap design
features "SS" logo.   $999.00  US  $1,400.00  CANADA

        I have been told privately that although the Mustang has 17" wheels,
they
are only 8" wide.  I think most people would agree that 9" wide wheels
would be a significant advantage...

        All this said I think the cars should have a place to play other than
SS.
I don't know for a fact they would be overdogs in FS but I would not be
surprised if they were.  I kind of consider them as just kind of half
prepared for SP anyway.

-Matt